24 January 2019

I Like to Write:: Where is the Love?


Well furlough has definitely taught some lessons. First, we need more money in savings, this has gone on for 3 pay periods and soon entering a fourth, which means another check not coming in. Second, co-workers are your second family. They right now are about the only people I am talking to. Third, your real friends and family, your ride-n-dies, well they come out during these situations.

Where is the support? Where is the love? Where is the 'how you doings'? No where, maybe people do not know how to approach the subject. It is touchy. People are arguing like crazy. Tensions are high. Most of the people that are angry though, are not even close to being affected by this. They don't travel (planes or trains), they don't collect food stamps, and they aren't employed by the DHS. Yet they have an opinion, trust me I have heard them.

I don't want or need any handouts. I am not like those closer to the DC area that apparently are experiencing the 
apocalypse because they didn't have anything close to a rainy day fund. It's more the gesture. I guess that sounds just as awful as anything else. I just don't get how people are only concerned when you know they only want details. Conversations are really basic---they ask how you are doing and go straight to 'do you know any details, when are you going back to work, have you heard anything'. NOPE. I know exactly what the news reports.

We are entering week 5 and we are entering it quickly. I have kept in touch with a few co-workers. I have been blessed with those that I can vent too. I guess my biggest question is, am I that unapproachable? Maybe so. I am just thankful for the littles. They love you and ask you how you are when they have no clue what's going on. They wrap their little hands around you and say that you are great even when you feel very low.

I can say those that have reached out just to check I am thankful. Even when I put on my fake smile and brave face and say everything is fine and quickly list all the reasons we will be fine. When I am holding back a lump in my throat so I can breathe when I say it will be okay, hopefully, we'll open soon. When I am so angry at the votes that are happening with no solution, those few listen. To those few that get my venting and sadness, I am very thankful that I can express which way I side, who I agree with, and how badly I want to go back to work without judgment.