28 December 2021

I Like to Write:: Stupid Schedules



Ok, life as a fightfighter wife is hard. Wife to any first responder or military is hard. We are on our own lot, we raise kids on our own, we keep stresses to ourselves to not put more on him. We are taking kids here and there and planning meals and then the dreaded sleep pattern of life without him. I know women who sleep just great without their man beside them and then there's women like me who sometimes sleep great and sometimes I can go most of the night up. 

What stinks is this time of year. Our husbands are on duty no matter if Santa is arriving or not. He is on duty whether or not the New Year Ball drops or not. He has to be there. There is nothing we can do about it but keep our fingers crossed he has enough seniority that he can get off that day or this day. You cross your fingers someone young without a family or someone older who has been there and done this will hold over and allow our guys to be home. 

As my kids are getting older and priorities change, I have to say though its not really Christmas that has ever bothered me. With his schedule we have gotten lucky, Christmas day he has always been home, but he has worked many Christmas Eve's. Those evenings are spent with family, taking care of the cookies for Santa, hiding that elf until next year, and setting out the gifts. I have always done all this with little help anyways, Christmas is all me. I love Christmas, the magic, the cold, and the whole love of the entire season. Soon it will be his turn to stay for the young families and make sure their kids are taken care of.

No, no this year I am really bothered with him working New Years Eve. We have spent 3 out of the last 5 apart because of his schedule. We have spent many more before that apart. It seems like his shift is ALWAYS on for the 31st. Even if we are asleep by midnight, I just like beginning the new year with my other half. It has always bothered me knowing he is in town working while I am home when the clock strikes to a new year. I honestly think that I would trade anyone their Christmas Day for New Years Eve. We do nothing special, sometimes we celebrate with friends, sometimes we are asleep, and sometimes we are just watching tv in bed, but we are together. 

So this year we will begin our new year after his shift is done, we will take the tree down, and begin all of our new years resolutions. I have enjoyed this long extended break and I am making the best of all this time together. I just, I am just having a lot of issues with the schedule this year. I don't know if it's my age, or what but I would love to just ring in the new year with my husband.