06 December 2017

I Like Writing:: Emma's POV


Walking into my office Monday morning, I find flowers. Wild flowers. I haven't gotten flowers in years. Stephen walks in behind me, "Hey, you all caught up on your sleep? You want to have dinner tonight?" He eyeballs the flowers, "Who are they from?" I figured they were from him. Who else would send me flowers? 
"I'm guessing that means not from you." I take the card from the little holder. For the best girl I know, Love Jacob. I smile,  turning back towards Stephen, "They're from a friend." 
He lifts an eyebrow and eye balls me, "A friend that recently got divorced?" Ding, ding, ding. 

"That would be the one. He's been wanting to get together. Listen, I've been wanting to talk to you about all of this. You said dinner tonight right? We can talk tonight, " Better to get this over with. If he cant give me a future, then maybe we aren't meant to be. I don't need a ring, it would just be nice to hear, I would like to marry you someday. 
I text Jake and thank him for the flowers, he only responded 'anything for you beautiful' at lunchtime and I havent heard anything since. He doesnt have his son this week so I know he is working 10 to 12 hour days. 
I am nervous. I know Stephen is going to know this is all coming from Jake and me reconnecting. He was quiet all through dinner, sitting on the couch I curl my feet under my butt and get comfy. 
"Where do you see us going Stephen?" I just dive right in. 
"To the bedroom," he smirks. "Unless you want to go out." He takes a drink of his beer never leaving my gaze. 
"You know what I mean." "Emma I have asked you several times to move in, you are the one that wont. You are the one that wont stay longer than a night here or there because you dont want to get to close. Now you want me to explain to you where we are going." He's mad. I dont blame him, he hasnt said anything wrong. He finishes his beer and stands, I am assuming to get another. 
"Do you ever think of getting married again?" 
"Not really, I do from time to time." He grabs my legs and starts rubbing my feet. "I was married for almost 10 years Em, I am thankful we didnt have any children in that mess of a divorce. Where is this coming from? 2 weeks ago you were confident about us, now you want to get married? Lover boy from high school has you wanting things is that it?" He begins taunting me. 
"I dont know. Maybe. I went to talk to him. When it ended, it really didnt end well. We didnt talk about it, I just left. I said we were over and I left for college. I always thought by now I would be married with a baby on the way or at least thinking about kids."

"So what did this talk do? You want him back?"