28 May 2012

Memorial Day


I would take this time to thank the men and women that have served or are currently serving to ensure the freedom of our country. They are the reason that we are able to enjoy our day off, our cookouts, and sit outside and enjoy the clean air. We are not afraid of bombs going off, someone commiting a huge suicide mission that will take out hundreds of people, or just going to work to run simple errands. We are able to go to work, spend time with our families and children, and watch our children grow.

I as a female am especially thankful. In some countries, a woman does not have a say, is not even spoken too, or doesnt have a say when it comes to her children. Those men and women serving allow me to write this blog, with my inner thoughts, allow me to raise my children WITH my husband, making decisions WITH him instead of being told what to do and how to do it. I have freedom of speech, I work outside of the home, and I can be LOUD.

I have few family members that have served, I am grateful for their time away to make sure we are taken care of. I have a few friends that are serving now, I am thankful for the continued measures to make sure my girls will be safe, and I know I will know more in the future that will decide to serve and go off to bootcamp, tech school, than be stationed.

I work with active duty US Coast Guard men and women, even though they are not serving overseas or on the water they are serving. My division chief, from CT, lived in Seattle where he was inspecting vessels to make sure they were safe enough for water, got his papers to come to West Virginia, where we just have the Potomac (thats what all my mariners tell me!). His whole routine, life, and duties changed to help mariners get a credential to work on the waters. They move away from their families, they up root their lives, and go where they are told to go until that time is over. The LTJG is actively working everyday, helping us help the mariner.

So if you see someone who SERVED, are SERVING now, or will be SERVING soon, please thank them for their time. They dont have to do it, they wish to do it.